Emmet Fox - The Only Thing That Matters

The Only Thing That Matters

By Emmet Fox

The most important of all things to possess is Peace of Mind. There is absolutely nothing else in the world which is equal in value to that. Nothing else that life can offer is so important, and yet it seems to be about the last thing that many people work for. They strive both spiritually and materially for everything else under the sun, whereas, if they had everything else, and still lacked Peace of Mind, they would be miserable. If anyone should come to you with a billion dollars in one hand and Peace of Mind in the other, if you took the billion dollars, you would be the most foolish person on earth.

Peace of Mind includes all other good things. If you have this, it does not matter where you are or what surrounding conditions may be-all will be well. Even if the outer picture were an unpleasant one in itself, it would cause you no grief if you had Peace of Mind, and very soon that picture would inevitably change into something better.

Peace of Mind is positively the greatest of all God's gifts. Pray for this and the rest will take care of itself. "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give unto you," said Jesus, implying that this was the highest good he had to give us. And truly, peace of mind is the one thing
that matters.

This writing can be found in Emmet Fox's book "Find and Use Your Inner Power".

When looking to use a writing to improve my life, I pick the writing apart and study it. Every time I read it, something different will stick out. It may be only one word, but this word will give me a new way to explore the idea. Here is an example of what stuck out to me when making this post.

When I read it, the line about the choice between peace of mind or a billion dollars caught me.

I ask myself, which am I choosing? If I buy a lottery ticket without having peace of mind I am choosing the billion dollars. Studies have shown that if you win the lottery without peace of mind within five years you will lose it all. Star athletes make millions of dollars and retire broke.

The things I do do not give me peace of mind. Peace of mind is a state of being that I bring with me when I do things.

Like you, I had to find the things that gave me peace and do them. That is where it starts. Getting peace from things outside myself is an important tool to use. Without it, we would not survive and grow spiritually. How others see this writing and use it to find Peace of Mind is an important tool for me to gain insight into myself. So I would appreciate your insights.

You need to be a member of The Good Life Mall to add comments!

Join The Good Life Mall

Votes: 2
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• My wife has been reading sermon on the mount without any discussion with me, I just happened to notice it one day. Now I really need to be mindful of my actions!   She'll have more fodder to hold me accountable 😁. 

• I am always guarded when someone preaches with their lips. They may have an agenda that does not coincide with mine. 

But when someone preaches with their actions, I am less guarded. But I still guard what I allow into my mind, for it is the most precious of my possessions. With my mind, I create my future. If I let my guard down, you are creating my future. Even if I fail it is better than creating your future in my life.

The way he acts speaks so loud. I can not hear a word he says.

Who lights a candle and sticks it under a basket? No, he puts it on top of the table, so it lights the whole room.

• Joe Devlin was at our group on Thursday and told us that he will present on Emmet Fox's writing "Prayer is the Remedy." He picked it because it takes him deeper into "The One Thing That Matters." We talked about the different forms of prayer. 

The writing is brief and simple, but once we break it down into segments and expand on these, it will raise our Peace of Mind. I have included the text here.

Prayer is the Remedy

Remember that the one thing that matters is prayer. Time spent in prayer is never wasted. If you do not pray, you cannot expect results.

You may say, "I do not actually pray much, But I keep my thoughts right all day." This is self-deception of a deadly kind. If you were keeping your thoughts right, you would find yourself giving much time to prayer. Pray definitely for yourself everyday or you will get nowhere. 

If you are fearful, or worried, or tired, or discouraged, or hurried, or disappointed, or in pain, God is your sure remedy - so pray. 

If you will pray faithfully and regularly and try to live up to the best that you know, it is only a question of time before all troubles all doubts and fears, all sad memories, all mistakes will fade away forever, and perfect peace and joy will come into your life.

• This is a self-deception of a deadly kind.

I was prejudiced to what prayer was. Emmet Fox is telling me that by telling myself that I do not pray much, I am living in a self-constructed prison. This prison is cutting me off from everything but myself. 

I needed to expand my understanding of prayer. Prayer is anything that comes from my heart.

• All I ever searched for spiritually and materially in every other thing was for all troubles all doubts and fears, all sad memories, all mistakes to fade away forever, and for perfect peace and joy to come into my life.

Consistent prayer, and I mean consistent, has not been practiced.   I read here to do it faithfully and regularly.

God is your sure remedy - so pray.

• Pray definitely for yourself regularly every day, or you will get nowhere.

We are taught to pray for mercy for ourselves and pray for others and for their problems to be resolved. 

For a while, my prayer was, "God, do not let me forget this pain. I get through this problem, and I forget the pain associated with this, and I repeat the mistake. If I remember the pain, it will be easier to find a different solution."

Prayer was the Remedy

• Peace of Mind includes all other good things.

The past few weeks have been abundantly full of Gods provisions, the fruits of doing extra and continuing to have faith and trust in Gods direction has put me on a path that has begun.   It feels like I am on a ride at an amusement park.   It's fun and adventurous.  I don't know what's in store yet but I am excited knowing that if I keep doing the work it only will get more exciting.  

The way Up-  my reading today talking about living the way up to God and keeping my life on the right side of the tracks today.   Because I am implementing new habits and strategies in my life I am living a life of putting myself the way Up towards God.   

daring grately and taking an inventory of how I can improve my life and contribute to Peace of Mind I am on my way Up to God,

stopping by Lefty's was a huge deal in my peace of mind.  I've missed out the last couple and I had time to swing by,  We talked about looking forward to this upcoming season, and how planting new things in our lives keeps us working on ourselves and it's exciting.    This time is very valuable to me,  

But when I realized I had to leave my house at 2:30 am to get the train, I was wondering how this would all pan out,   I said to myself it would all be worth it.  

I am on the train to NYC for the days duty's,  I kept it in my mind of one step at a time,   Get to the train station.  The rest will take care of itself.    Here we go for today - one thing at a time.

i am grateful I took the time to stop in and reset my mind on this work.   I got to see Joe and Bob which was also a great joy.

i am grateful for getting to my train on time to get to NYC.  I am grateful I talked to that man months ago and asked him a question and now it has provided an opportunity.   Had I not been around a great mentor group that helped me ask for help. I would not be on this train

• They Strive

Every time I have read “The One Thing That Matters” I have been aware of the word strive. Today I thought you never put much emphasis on the word strive. You better look that up.

Strive verb

1. make great efforts to achieve or obtain something.

My awareness was correct. When I read this, I need to put more feeling into the word strive.

“Make great efforts” means that we put our attention, talents, and energy into accomplishing a desired result. Emmet is telling us that our focus is in the wrong direction to find Peace of Mind.

Society’s focus is on the material comforts and necessities of life. If we attain these things, they will give us security, which will result in Peace of Mind. In the short run, this path will result in a feeling of Peace. But it is not lasting even if the outside picture stays the same.

But the outside picture is always changing. This means I need more to attain the same level of peace. The discontent slowly moves in because it takes more and more energy to attain peace of mind.

The truth is that when I look for Peace of Mind first, once I find it it becomes easier to maintain it. In the beginning, it takes a lot of effort and discipline. Once it becomes a way of life it takes less and less energy to maintain Peace of Mind.

With Peace of Mind I can have all other good things.

I am grateful for Springtime, for all things become new again. I am filled with energy, like all living things coming out of the dormancy of the Winter season.

• When I was driving out to this commitment tonight. I started to feel people in my life that trade there time for peace of mind through drugs and alcohol and lost there life. It hit me. I could be right there with them.  What I did to find peace of mind through all different avenue. Never using God as a solution  to  over come the beasts of madness, fear , sadness, anger that was in my DEN.  
    My DEN can feel sometimes like a deep pit and can be overwhelming and tiresome.  Then I want to fight my way out. This leads me into a mode of defeat. I need to focus on positive thoughts instead of the beast.

This reply was deleted.

Amazon Associate

“As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.”