Emmet Fox - The Only Thing That Matters

The Only Thing That Matters

By Emmet Fox

The most important of all things to possess is Peace of Mind. There is absolutely nothing else in the world which is equal in value to that. Nothing else that life can offer is so important, and yet it seems to be about the last thing that many people work for. They strive both spiritually and materially for everything else under the sun, whereas, if they had everything else, and still lacked Peace of Mind, they would be miserable. If anyone should come to you with a billion dollars in one hand and Peace of Mind in the other, if you took the billion dollars, you would be the most foolish person on earth.

Peace of Mind includes all other good things. If you have this, it does not matter where you are or what surrounding conditions may be-all will be well. Even if the outer picture were an unpleasant one in itself, it would cause you no grief if you had Peace of Mind, and very soon that picture would inevitably change into something better.

Peace of Mind is positively the greatest of all God's gifts. Pray for this and the rest will take care of itself. "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give unto you," said Jesus, implying that this was the highest good he had to give us. And truly, peace of mind is the one thing
that matters.

This writing can be found in Emmet Fox's book "Find and Use Your Inner Power".

When looking to use a writing to improve my life, I pick the writing apart and study it. Every time I read it, something different will stick out. It may be only one word, but this word will give me a new way to explore the idea. Here is an example of what stuck out to me when making this post.

When I read it, the line about the choice between peace of mind or a billion dollars caught me.

I ask myself, which am I choosing? If I buy a lottery ticket without having peace of mind I am choosing the billion dollars. Studies have shown that if you win the lottery without peace of mind within five years you will lose it all. Star athletes make millions of dollars and retire broke.

The things I do do not give me peace of mind. Peace of mind is a state of being that I bring with me when I do things.

Like you, I had to find the things that gave me peace and do them. That is where it starts. Getting peace from things outside myself is an important tool to use. Without it, we would not survive and grow spiritually. How others see this writing and use it to find Peace of Mind is an important tool for me to gain insight into myself. So I would appreciate your insights.

You need to be a member of The Good Life Mall to add comments!

Join The Good Life Mall

Votes: 2
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It would cause you no grief if you had Peace of Mind

The hand of God at work.

Last night, I was going to meet with a group of friends. I walked in, took a seat near Chris, and asked her how she was doing. She smiled and said, “Great since I saw you.” We talked about how we change the atmosphere when entering a room.

I think nothing of this. I do not see the hand of God at work.

As the evening progressed, I felt a little discontented with our group. I do not refer to my conversation with Chris. I have not decided on my next move yet. God sees that I did not receive the message that Chris gave me, so he sends two more people. The first person stops to tell me how he values my contribution.

This goes a long way to removing my discontentment. But I have not changed my mind. I still have not seen the hand of God.

I have left the building, and a lady stops me in the parking lot. She asked me if I knew anyone named Chet. I say, “Yes, I do.” She tells me how she met Chet and that Chet had moved back from Maine, and he had asked if she knew me. She tells him yes and that she sees me on Wednesday nights. He tells her that he is going to stop in one Wednesday night to catch up with me.

I get to my truck and finally see God’s hand. He knew of my pending discontentment. He tried. I missed it. Three times the cock crowed, and I finally saw the hand of God.

The outer picture changed. I am content with this group of friends.

• I was listening to a meeting this morning, preoccupied with some upsetting developments at work. I kept trying to just listen for the message from god. The speaker is a close friend of mine so I l've heard him speak before. He was talking about the suicide of a friend across the street and his father's sudden death. And it hit me. Some people talk about remembering their very first drink. I remember the exact day I fired god. It took 36 years to turn my will back over to a god who never left me.

• Even if the outer picture were an unpleasant one in itself, it would cause you no grief if you had Peace of Mind,

I have to block out my ears sometimes when i hear others gossiping - i get resentful at guys who behave like this and then i am reminded about Peace of Mind.  They are sick, who am i to expect high demands that they dont talk behind others back.   I let it go for i dont want to get myself in any trouble.  But deep inside i want to say "what about anonimity"?   -  I have to move a muscle to God and think of Peace of Mind,  

The other day when it was raining really hard,  i was working outside in it for several hours,  because i have been down that road before it doesnt pay to complain,  the other person i was with was complaining,  i just didnt want to entertain his thoughts,  i just stayed quiet and kept doing what we had to do.   I am aware of how to not let negitive opinions get infiltrated into my mind.  

I need to contintue to work for Spiritual connection with God and keep myself Grounded.  Its easy for me to get distracted by other outside things and i can see my Peace of Mind slip away,  If i focus on the next week or im in the past,  I can loose sight of that calmness.   Today i was reminded how important this work is.  If i have no Peace of MInd.. I am behind enemy Lines.

• All other good things.  I used to be the guy "looking for a good time".  There was some fun in those times but not necessarily good, as in beneficial, wholesome or healthy.  Good times for me have changed to the more enduring and meaningful things.  That is what I think of now when in search of Peace of Mind.  What am I doing that benefits and endures today?   The example I set for my children, the leadership I bring to work efforts, the partnership with my wife.  I'll work to the benefit and health of these.  Peace of Mind includes all other good things. 

• Peace of mind is positively the craters of all gods give. The word positively stuck out to me today. When I think of positive. I think of the positive connection to a battery. A flow of energy that helps make something function. Is this message telling me the state of peace of mind is how I stay connected to my source of energy and supply? Is the result of having full peace the fullest and complete connection to God. I've felt this before in my journey. It's been awhile since I've felt this way.  I know when I fell angry, frustrated, tired, greedy, etc.  I feel not peaceful and far from my God.

• Staying grounded is essential to keeping a good connection. Electrical power without a good ground .

When God is talking to us and we have a loose ground we may only hear every other word. We then make bad decisions based on half the information needed to make an informed decision.

• Chest is tight, breathing is short, heart rate feels high.   Set my watch to vibrate each hour to remind be to come back to God.  Box breathing helps.  Look at what happens after I don't do this Peace of Mind exercise for a few days!  Settle back in, address my dares.  One thing at a time, I will come forward with another experience, another story to tell.  It will all be OK.  

• The most important of all things to possess is Peace of Mind

I am grateful for the opportunity to seek Peace of Mind today.  I am grateful for the willingness to ask for help today.   I am greatful these seeds were planted that when situations arise my Mind goes to seek the Peace.    I agree with Lefty.   Peace of Mind is the center of it all.     Am I working for it today? And am I Giving it away to others today?   I am asking for help today to find Peace of Mind by taking action here.   I am seeking the Peace of Mind by changing my thoughts to these reading.    I will let the whirlers whirl and Go dare greatly.    I am Greatful for keeping my Mind centered on God and action to move to Peace of Mind

• Peace of Mind is the Center of Life

When you boil it down, Peace of Mind is the only thing we search for. When the outer picture is unpleasant, we use whatever tool we have to make the picture bearable. We will try anything to change the picture and obtain Peace of Mind.

We use God occasionally, but under pressure, we resort to instant gratification. This gives us the result that we want. Although it is temporary, it is better than nothing.  Sleep is a great place to hide. Sweets are a great comfort. The list is long, and everyone has their own preference, which brings this temporary peace of mind.

I have a list of non Peace of Mind items that, left unresolved, will make me a foolish person.

I have three things that I will take care of today. Then, I can answer the question “Have I done?” with an affirmative.

I need to do at least one more thing to answer the question “Have I dared?” with an affirmative.

I am ready to meet the day.

• yet it seems to be about the last thing that many people work for.

Peace of Mind comes up when I am faced with situations.   What am I doing to work for Peace of Mind.    The other day I went to the tax man and sent all the paperwork out so I can move forward on that,  tonight I waited in my car at the arena  for a while till traffic was less so I didn’t have to wait so long and waste gas.   The other night I went the distance to help someone out.     Because of this work we do- it now becomes the focus.

I am grateful for rain gear and warm weather protection so I can stay dry and warm while working outside.   I am grateful I get to live out my hearts desires

This reply was deleted.

Amazon Associate

“As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.”