Serenity is every person's dream. But if you asked me about anything related to it a couple of years ago, I would never have known how to answer adequately. It was only when something huge hit me in recent years that I understood the value of mental health and inner peace. After that, I was left with no other choice but to survive. After trying every trick I could think of, I realized that the way I felt had more to do with my mindset than anything else. I had to change the narrative that was repeatedly replaying in my head, and I can tell you that power was born the day I made that decision.
I must say, though, mental issues are not the easiest to deal with. It takes time for many people to come to terms with various situations or life experiences and be at peace. Whatever the reason you are reading this, remember that you owe yourself a great life, and it begins with inner peace. Developing it is up to you.
Why is it essential to develop inner tranquility?
Life can never live up to our idea of being perfect, and we sometimes find ourselves in situations we have no clue how we got into. Sometimes we have dreams, but things do not go according to the exact plan. Even then, someone who has learned how to develop and maintain inner peace will find a way to keep themselves from losing their mind. You learn to enjoy life through it all or accept situations that would otherwise break you. Inner tranquility is like medicine to the soul. Not only does it shield you from being hurt by others. It also protects you from hurting yourself. Having it means that you are mentally stable and can approach situations with positivity. However, this does not mean you do not experience anxiety and the likes. But, you know how to keep it from consuming you.
You can use the following tips to develop inner tranquility
- Affirmation - If you think the grass is greener on the other side of the street, start watering your own lawn. Russ Lipari
- Feed your mind positivity – do not entertain negative thoughts and do not pay attention to negative words. Be careful what you listen, read, and watch. Those are the things we often use to form opinions about ourselves and the world around us.
- Keep good company – surround yourself with positive and supportive people who will help you push forward. This does not mean you have to find perfect people because you will never meet such. However, you need people who will be there for you in good and bad times. Sometimes they will forget the same words they used to help you find strength and will need you to repeat the same words to them. As you do that, you are affirming those words and engraving them into your heart.
- Stop comparing yourself to others – admiring others and learning from them is good. Just do not compare yourself to them. It could make you feel like your dreams are delaying, or you have failed, among other things. It can also make enemies for you and divert you from the right path due to the pressure to do better than the next person.
- Let go of the past – your past mistakes and all the disappointments-let them go. Holding on to things you cannot change only serves as a reminder of the pain you have experienced and keeps you reliving that painful experience. Instead, give your current life and dreams the much-needed attention so much that you won't have time to revisit your past.
- Do not make everything about you – you are not the center of everything that happens under the sun. It would be best if you understood that. What affects you affects others too. Try to listen to other people and be understanding. This will help you understand that even the bad things others say about you and their attitude have nothing to do with the person you are or what you are doing. People have their problems and weaknesses. Therefore, at some point, you will be a victim of uncontrolled emotions arising from those problems and defects. Do not let others define you, and do not give room to their negativity.
- Celebrate all your victories – appreciate all your wins, including the smallest ones. It will help you realize that your life has not only been a series of misfortunes and lack. This can give you hope when going through difficult times and doubts.
- Whatever your hands find to do, do it with all your heart – do your best in all your duties. This will keep you from regretting missed opportunities and wasting chances.
- Be easy on yourself – forgive yourself, do not put yourself under pressure, and get some rest. They say slow and steady wins a race.